In this post we'll install Cyanogenmod CM 10.1.x on Samsung Galaxy SII mobile phone. Please note this instructions apply to Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I1900G model only.
Disclaimer: Installing third-party firmware will void your phone warranty and if something goes wrong it could make your phone unusable. The installation process will wipe data/apps, Please backup everything.!
Before you get started consider backing up your phone data using Samsung Kies or Android apps such as Titanium Backup. Alternatively you can copy the data manually by connecting the phone to your computer with an USB cable.
Prerequisites: What do you need?
- Install Android SDK. We'll use the nifty adb program to manage the phone and debug any problems.
- Install phone flashing program Fastboot, Heimdall on Linux or Odin utility for MS Windows.
- Download Clockwork Recovery: GT-I1900G_ICS_ClockworkMod-Recovery_126.96.36.199.tar
- Download latest Cyanogenmod 10.1.x from Cynogenmod download page for i9100g device..
- Download gapps-jb-2013301-signed.zip from goo.im.This package provides standard Google Android applications such as Google Play (A.K.A Google Market).
- If you are upgrading an Android Gingerbread Phone, you'll need stock Android Ice Cream Sandwich(ICS) ROM. You can find stock Android ROM from SamMobile.
Flash Ice Cream Sandwitch (ICS) Official ROM to Samsung Galaxy S2(GT-I9100G)
You'll need your phone to running Android Ice Cream Sandwitch(ICS). The phone needs to run ICS bootloaders to upgrade to CyanogenMod 10.1.x. In this section I'll flash official Ice Cream Sandwitch(ICS) ROM onto my Gingerbread Phone.(Thank you codeworkx for pointing this out.)
You can ignore this section if you are working with ICS S2 phone.
- Unzip the previously downloaded ICS ROM I9100GDZKL3_I9100GOLCKL3_XME ROM
- Put the phone in download mode by holding Volume Down(-), Home button and pressing power button.
- Connect the phone to computer using USB cable
- Launch 0din on your computer and select PDA mode and flash the uncompressed .tar file.
- Once complete the phone will reboot.
Root the Samsung S2 ICS Phone with ClockWorkMod Recovery Kernel
The handy ClockWorkMod tool allows you to flash the phone with different ROMs from the phone itself without the need
- Connect your phone to computer using a USB cable.
- Put the device in download mode with 'adb reboot bootloader' or by holding Volume Down(-), Home button and pressing power button.
- Uncompress the previously downloaded Clockwork Recovery file.
- Use heimdall program to flash on the command line: 'heimdall flash --kernel zImage'
- Reboot the mobile phone.
Install CM 10.1.x on Samsung Galaxy S2
Connect your phone to your computer and transfer the previously downloaded files Cyanogenmod 10.1.x and Gapps files to mobile phones internal memory. Restart the phone and enter recovery mode by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Follow the steps below to install the CM10.1.x on your phone.
- Select wipe data/factory reset
- Select wipe cache partition
- Select Advanced Menu and choose wipe dalvik cache
- Select Install zip from sdcard and choose update-cm-10.1-XXX-XXX-XXX-signed.zip file.
- Select Install zip from sdcard and choose gapps-jb-2013301-signed.zip file. Reboot phone
That's all folks! Don't forget to share your experiences by leaving a comment here.