Linux users who also use a BlackBerry ™ now have an option for managing their BlackBerry directly from Linux.
Barry is an Open Source application that will provide synchronization, backup, restore and program management for BlackBerry ™ devices. Barry is primarily developed on Linux, but is intended as a cross platform library and application set, targeting Linux, BSD, 32/64bit, and big/little endian systems.
The Barry project began in October 2005 and has steadily added features and polish to Blackberry usage on Linux ever since. We were the first to reverse engineer the battery charging handshake via USB.
Today, it is possible to:
- charge your Blackberry's battery from your USB port
- retrieve Address Book, Email, Calendar, Service Book, Memos, Tasks, PIN Messages, Saved Email, and Folders
- export Address Book contacts in text or LDAP LDIF format
- make full data backups and restores of your device using a GUI
- synchronize contacts and calendar items using the OpenSync framework
- use the Blackberry as a modem